First of all, I want to say thanks to those of you who sent words of encouragement based on my last “uninspired” blog, especially you Uncle Ken. Every time you write (even if it takes nine times to get it posted!) it is a great encouragement to me. Thank you very much.
Just about the time I wrote the blog some things changed! Hmmm. I had been working noon to midnight, but for various reasons my hours changed from 7am to 7pm. Nothing TOO major, but a few adjustments to be made…
Part of my “groundhog day” routine was swimming 3 to 4 times per week. I would head to the pool at 10am, swim for about 45 minutes, and still have time to shower up and make it to work by noon. Now that my work starts at 7am, that would mean heading to the pool at 5am, which means a 4:45am wake up. I gotta say I’m not really diggin’ that. In fact, I haven’t done it yet!
I could just go to bed earlier, like 9 or 10pm so that I get my 7-8 hours of sleep, right? Wrong. How’s that saying go? “You don’t know what you got…”
One of the nice things about living here on this part of the base with a bunch of “snake eaters” (SF guys) is that they like to shoot weapons a lot, so we have a really nice range. I’ve enjoyed it myself about once a week since I’ve been here. The range is only about 200 yards away from where I live (remember my CHU?). The military was nice enough to give me an M9 pistol and an M4 rifle to use while I’m here, and I can shoot up all the ammo that I want. Sweet! Here’s the thing: the range is open every day from… you guessed it… noon to midnight. So I was never actually trying to sleep when the range was open. The fact is, because of the heat, most people shoot late in the evening, between about 9pm and midnight.
That was a long story just to say that if I lay my head down to try to sleep at 9pm, I have to figure out how to actually get to sleep with gun battles (so it seems) raging 200 yards away. Not the best of sleeping conditions. Maybe I’ll get used to it, since once upon a time I managed to learn to sleep two decks below the catapults on an aircraft carrier!
By the way, I do enjoy going to the range, and I like keeping my skills up. I don’t pretend to be a sharpshooter, but I’m no slouch either. Something about staying proficient using weapons makes it feel a bit more like a military deployment. I always say, though, if the intel guy (me) is using his weapon in an actual combat situation, something has gone horribly wrong! Especially considering that I’m surrounded by SF guys. But, I don’t want to be the idiot who dies because he doesn’t know how to load a magazine in his weapon. I always hate that scene in “Saving Private Ryan” where the linguist cowards out. Why did it have to be the linguist?? In a combat situation (I hope I’ll never have to be in) I would like to be an asset to the team, not baggage.
My weight room adventures are coming along. I’m not breaking any weight lifting world records, but I feel good. There are some guys that push up a lot of weight in there; very serious lifters. I’m still content to do a bit here and there just to stay in shape and improve my endurance a little bit. I used to wear my Ipod there all the time, and then I noticed that everyone else did, too. Do you know how hard it is to socialize when everyone has headphones on? So I burned a few CDs of music that I like and “donated” them to the gym. So now I walk in, put in my CDs, and listen to it on the sound system, sans headphones. Nobody complains… they all have their headphones on!
I just finished a book called “Honeymoon With My Brother”. It was really enjoyable. It’s a true story, written by a guy who was dumped at the altar by his bride-to-be. As a result, he goes on his non-refundable honeymoon with his brother, they both get the bug for traveling, quit their jobs, and travel the entire world over a two-year period! Lots of introspection about relationships, and serious observations about other cultures, countries, and people from around the world. It’s worth the read. Next on tap: “All About the Beat: Why Hip-Hop Can’t Save Black America”. Probably seems off the wall, but being a 39-year-old small town Iowa Caucasian, I’ve always loved hip-hop and I’m always interested in seeing how it affects our culture. I have to say that Hip-Hop MUSIC started going down hill right around 1992 (notice the quote title for this blog); I love the late 80’s stuff, but that’s another topic for another day I think.
Marc
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
(21th attempt.. maybe Muslim extremists have hijacked my server...)
ReplyDeleteMarc,
Thanks for the shout-out. Writing to you is my pleasure. Despite the miles and the years of difference, I can't help but feel very connected somehow by your stories. Flashbacks, no doubt.
Your desire to stay proficient with your weapons is not only a great idea, it will establish your "spinal reflexes" which will serve you well if the opportunity ever requires it. Good habits to have.
Your story about the pool reminds me of VN a couple of days before Christmas 1969. I was waiting for a C-130 from Cu Chi to Tan Son Nhut to take me for my R&R, which would eventually place me in Hawaii for Christmas with your Aunt Rain. It was our first Christmas together as husband and wife. Since I had a couple of hours to myself between being "released" and my flight, I snuck into the 25th Aviation compound, to see if they really did have the rumored swimming pool there. Behind a tall wooden fence, I found a rubber fuel bladder buried in the ground filled with water, clearly off limits to anyone but the Huey pilots. Back then I only weighed about 120 pounds and definitely didn't belong there. I stripped down and since at that hour of the day nobody was around, I was able to carefully squeeze my thin frame through the surrounding fence and enjoyed jumping from the makeshift diving board for about an hour's worth of fun. When I returned to my hootch to change to my Class A's for the flight out of Cu Chi, I realized with horror that my wedding ring was gone. Guess what was the first thing Lorraine noticed when we met in Hawaii? The story did have a happy ending though.... since I didn't have enough time to sneak back into the pool, I asked my buddy to help me and later he successfully reenacted my stunt and found the ring in the blackness at the bottom of the bladder. Talk about a friend! He could have gotten into a lot of trouble for impersonating an officer and trespassing, etc. I was sooo happy when he handed it to me upon my return from R&R. What a surprise.
So I guess the moral of the story is, good and sometimes funny things can happen even in the strangest of circumstances.
An interesting note: 40 years ago to this day, while man was first walking on the moon, I was in a bunker being hit with mortar and rocket fire. Ironic use of propulsion, huh? Moral? Even when things seem bad…. There is greatness somewhere else.
Stay alert, and stay well. L, uk & ar
babe, i'm wondering if i could guess some of the songs you chose to put on your cd's for the gym... ?? i'm sure you got some classic hip hop in there... DMC, Beastie Boys? well, i love you, and that should go without saying, but sometimes it's nice to say it anyway. ;*
ReplyDeleteMarc, Hip Hop in the gym seems like you could hurt yourself. Personally, I'd stick with classic rock.
ReplyDeleteHiya, Jen! Rain and I saw your Mom & Dad this weekend. Cousin Mark got married. Nice ceremony and great reception. Seeing Al & Pilo again was a real treat. It has been a long time coming. Miss you both... L, uk
Marc,
ReplyDeleteSince my last comment went through on the first try, I thought I'd try again to see if anything changed. I'm amazed that it's August already. Time seems to be flying by me.... do you feel the same way? Any changes in work, eats, weight, musical preference? uk
Hey Squid,
ReplyDeleteIts been a while since your last word. I'm impatient to hear of any news from the other side of the moon. How's it been going?
Uncle Jim and I had a discussion the other day. We were wondering.... what is the "souvenir" of choice for the sand war? I remember in VN, a stereo system was the hot-ticket item but really just a collection of items thanks to a lot of guys and a lot of help while they were on R&R. The only item that represented a "far east" feel was a ceramic elephant with a flat saddle-like spot on its back that was a perfect for holding a flower pot. The ones that stood about 24" high went for about $5 if I remember correctly. They seemed more India that Vietnam, but the selection was pretty thin where I was. It would be interesting if anyone else from that era remembered anything indigenous that was worth bringing home (dope doesn't count.) And what kind of momentos are guys keeping these days? Jim and I reminisced about how guys in WWI & II could return with guns and stuff like that and nobody seemed to care. What are the limits these days? Could you bring empty brass if you had it? The grandkids love to inspect my war-collection of trinkets when they visit. Hopefully, its the closest they ever have to come to that kind of stuff. We'll see, I guess.
Speaking of grandkids, they're begging me to come play cards with them so I'll leave you until next time.
Stay alert and safe. Write when you can.
Love, Uncle Ken & Aunt Rain (says "Hi!")
Squidward,
ReplyDeleteThere hasn't been much news on TV from the middle east. Is that because its quiet or is that the result of things being really busy? I can never tell from the news. During the 60's & 70's a lot of the news from oversease was contrived which left me very cynical.
All you see on TV is President Obama trying to be a salesman for healthcare. I wish he would work harder and talk less.
On the other hand, if YOU could work less and talk more, that would suit me just fine. Ouch! That sounded harsh. Seriously, I hope all is right with you and the family. Write if you get time. How's the weight training coming along?
Hope to hear soon, L, uk
Ah, yes. This hip hop business of old.
ReplyDeleteI could always count on the hip hop business. It never failed to produce the same comments. Every new spanish girlfriend I acquired said the same thing.
Her: "Que guay, que style es." (Que steelay) Or...look how much style and rythm your friend Marc has. "Why don't you dance like him? Why can't you be cool like him? "
Me: "He's from a special place where they teach that."
Her: "Where?"
Me: "Iowa"
Sunk me every time.
Marc,
ReplyDeleteIt has been a long time since we'e heard any news from you and, of course, this raises our concern. While I can justify in my mind that since you changed to day shift the time available to you on the computer has changed, we still wish you could drop a line or two to let everyone know that all is well.
Our son Eric threw a surprise 40th anniversary party for Aunt Rain & I at his house. We were taken completely by surprise and we had a wonderful time with all our friends. We wish you and Jen could have been there to share the blessings. Consider we owe you one, bro. Rain & I look forward to that day when we can make good our offer.
Until then, stay alert and safe. God bless. uk & ar
Marc,
ReplyDeleteI finally put two and two together.... Since you have such limited time on the computer, my long-windedness is a liability. Tomorrow, I'll try to get an address. "Long" would better be suited to snail mail old school letters. I assume you'd have more time sitting on your bunk than at a console. Please forgive me for taking so long to figure this out. Remember, your dealing with an old dog. These are very new tricks. Woof! uk
Time for another installment Marc. Got to get in shape for that blog you, Brad and I talked about. Hope you're doing well. Miss you and love you. -Ed.
ReplyDelete