07 July 2009

"A deadline is negative inspiration. Still, it's better than no inspiration at all" - Rita Mae Brown

Uninspired.

I guess I've realized that there is a direct correlation between the number of opinions you have in life and the amount of news or information that you're exposed to on a daily basis.

July in Iraq is extremely dry. So am I.

I don't watch TV here. My internet connectivity is limited to the 30-45 minutes I spend talking with Jennifer on Skype each day, so I'm not scooting around the web reading the latest news. Stimuli is lacking. Not even a stupid billboard to make me laugh - just cement T-walls.

Routine can be a good thing because it helps the days click by. But the danger is that you end up feeling like Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day" - no surprises, everything predictable, every day feels the same... and little inspiration.

I wish that I could say that I've been so busy fighting a war that I haven't had time to blog. That would be a lie. I've had good intentions of writing something for the last three weeks, but haven't quite found the kick in the pants to get it done. Today was no different, so I just decided to write about exactly what has kept me from writing.

I can't imagine writing a best-selling book and then signing a big book deal with a publisher for two or three more books. How terrifying! What if you only have one good book in you? What do you do if you are CONTRACTED to write and then you sit at your computer and have more of an inclination to play hearts or freecell than to write??

Lame, I know. You're probably reading this for some news from the front. Hmmm, let me see what I can muster up:

- Our chow hall is way too hot. It's a good weightloss plan: sweat while you eat!

- Despite the 30 June deadline, nothing really has changed for me and my job here.

- We had a nasty dust storm for about 4 or 5 days. I heard (have no idea about the source) that it was one of the worst Iraq has seen in a long time. For us it just meant that stuff stopped moving; no flights = no mail, no fruit, no vegetables, etc.

- I ran a 6K race on the 4th of July in 30 minutes. Why a 6K? It's the distance of the normal run route along the flight line. Also, someone figured out that it's the 6th year of OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom). Too bad that Independence Day wasn't on the 6th this year! I did get a tshirt out of the deal, which wasn't really a deal, since I had to pay $10 for it. They could have stayed with the theme and only charged me $6.

Yeah, that's about all I've got. I hope that your life is more exciting than mine at the moment. I have everything I need here, but if you'd like to send me something, I'll take a big box of inspiration. I need it.

5 comments:

  1. I don't really have inspiration to send, but it's good to hear from you! And really, considering you're over there in Iraq...nothing exciting happening isn't such a terrible thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc,
    Darn.... blog wouldn't let me post again. I feel like such an @$$. 2nd try coming up.
    I agree with melaniet42's comment. In a war-zone boring is good.
    How's the bench pressing going? I expect you to look like the Hulk when you return. You may never get a better opportunity to indulge yourself again without distractions or higher priorities. The thought of running 6K in the desert heat sounds like a LOT of fun. And you're telling me you NEED inspiration. I can't run to my mailbox.
    I try to image what David was thinking while he was hiding in the caves from Saul. Now that sounds uninspiring. Keep your chin up, bub.
    Keep the column coming. It is really great to be able to read about you.
    Love from all of us, Uncle Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. Boredom. The biggest enemy. It's so fashionably mental warfarish. How else could I have read so many volumes of books in my day? I read the grapes of wrath twice! I used to wrap my novels in a other language dictionary book cover. The senior guys were so proud of me. I don't envy you one bit.

    Keep up the good work and good posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marc,
    This is the seventh attempt at a post in as many days. I’m flow-charting my steps this time. Maybe that will help me succeed.
    I really like Terry’s little book-jacket switcheroo trick. Wish I knew it back in ’69 when a Major reprimanded me for reading a civilian book. He ordered me to read the “AR’s” instead. Now that is some inspiring reading!
    Terry, you sound military. I clicked on your name to check your story. Talk about a snappy dresser. Did I meet you at the going away party for Marc?
    Jen, please know that ANY time you feel like a visit, come on up. You are always welcome at our place. Our guestroom is freshly painted and just waiting for you. You have always been our favorite “guest”. Or if you just want to talk, call, write, email, blog, shout, anything you wish to try is all good with us.
    Marc, don’t sweat the writer’s cramp. Even if you just write what you had for breakfast, it’s still interesting to us readers because it is our way of staying in touch with you. Thoughts and prayers aside, it’s very good for us to read what you have to say. Especially if its something like, “Tour is over tomorrow!” That would be terrific. In the meantime, stay alert and hope to hear from you soon. L, uk & ar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uncle Ken,

    No, I missed that party. The hero and I were in Spain together when we were still fighting zits. I'm an old ditty chaser returned home.

    ReplyDelete