My House
I live in a “CHU” and as you can guess that’s just another military acronym. Oddly enough, I haven’t found anyone that knows what the “C” stands for, although they are sure that the “HU” stands for Housing Unit. Cubicle maybe?? This room that I’ll call home for the next five months isn’t too bad. It’s designed to house two people, but I’m senior enough that I’ll have it all to myself.
It’s roughly 18 feet long and seven feet wide: 125 square feet of my own space… far better than the 12 or 14 square feet that I could call my own on the submarine! I’ve only seen two other rooms other than my own, and it appears the “equipment” in the room varies. It depends on what the last guy left for you, or sold to you, or what you may have managed to get from someone else when they left to go home. I’m lucky enough to have a small refrigerator, as I’ve discovered only a few people have. I have two twin beds, two lockers (think high school size lockers), two wood three-drawer cabinets, and two four-drawer plastic cabinet things (like the ones you buy in Walmart in the storage aisle). The coup de gras is the leather desk chair. I have no idea how it got here or where it came from, because I have no desk. But hey, it’s a comfy chair!
I have my laptop that I’m typing on now, although no internet connection here in my room. I’ll explain more about that at a later time but for now I’ll stay focused on my accommodations. I paid the last guy $50 for a third, fourth, or fifth generation 15” TV hooked up to a DVD player. There is a cable coming in from the outside that is hooked to the TV, but I think it’s a tease; there’s nothing coming through that cable. So basically the TV is just for watching DVD movies.
The floor is a lovely (haha) linoleum that will be a challenge to keep clean. It’s impossible to keep the dust and dirt out (this place is nothing but sand, dust, and gravel – more on that later, too). I have one small throw rug that was already here, and I bought another one (they have them at the military PX) to help cover the floor. A lamp would be nice, but I have to make due with two fluorescent lights on the ceiling. Fluorescent light is nice for the garage, not for the bedroom or the living room (in my case it’s all the same).
I have a window, although I keep the rolontons (sp?) closed all the time. It’s 110 during the day so I’m not anxious for any sun to make its way in here, especially since it starts to come up at about 0445. I’m working noon to midnight so I prefer to stay asleep a little longer than that!
That’s about it I think… I have electricity, 220 voltage, but the $50 I paid also include a few converters so that I can plug in my laptop, charge my iPod, and plug in the alarm clock that came with the $50, too. I almost forgot the most important thing, which of course is the air conditioner. It never shuts off. Ever. If I lived in this climate without AC (as most Iraqis do), quite frankly, I wouldn’t do a damn thing during the day. It was running like a champ when I moved in, then they pulled it out of the wall one day to power wash the whole thing. I’m convinced it doesn’t work as well anymore (go figure), but it still does the job.
This “CHU”, like all the others, is a “dry CHU”, which means I have to go outside to go to the shower or the bathroom. It’s not far – 30 seconds away. The showers are okay, like the shower in a nice campground, if that makes any sense at all. I’ve been here for and few weeks and had hot water all but two days. I know, you’re probably thinking, “Why would you take a hot shower when it’s 110 out?” I’m weird like that. No matter how hot it is I can’t stand taking a cold shower! Since writing this part of the blog, I discovered (with amusement) that I never had to shower without hot water; I just happened to be in the stall with the control knobs reversed and I didn’t know it!
Lastly, my “CHU” is surrounded by concrete walls that they call “T walls” because of their shape. EVERYTHING is surrounded by concrete. I guess concrete is the new sandbags. For the first few years of presence here, this base was known throughout Iraq as “Mortaritaville” because of the high frequency of mortar attacks from the bad guys. It still happens occasionally, but only a couple of times a month. And when I say mortar attack, I mean one, two, or three homemade mortars lobbed in an indiscriminate direction toward the base. I don’t mean to minimize it, because it’s still dangerous and people can still get hurt. But it’s rare now. I don’t know when the last time that someone was hurt in an attack here, but I think it’s been quite awhile. There are concrete bunkers scattered around the housing units, but I’ve never had the unfortunate occasion of using one.
So that’s my house in a nutshell (well, a CHU).
Marc
P.S. I took some pics, but I'm having mucho problems trying to upload them to the blog. Any advice from you other bloggers would be much appreciated. It seems to get hung up after I browse to the picture and hit "upload". It doesn't get past "sending request to blogger.com".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for the visual of what your world looks like over there!
ReplyDeleteCan't help you with the pics...sounds like you're doing everything right. Our pastor is in Israel and hasn't been able to upload any pictures to the web either. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, but who knows?
Soooo glad I was finally able to open your blog. We've all been wondering how you are doing. You sound in good spirits. Aunt Rain and I chuckled at your comments concerning accomodations. It really isn't funny... the military tries to provide all the usual things which you recognize so you think you're at home but instead, it feels more like the twilight zone. It may look like your room, but it might as well be a room on the moon. Well, at least your room on the moon is air-conditioned. That's cool (p.i.)
ReplyDeleteStay safe; God Bless. Love, Aunt Rain & Uncle Ken
hi babe, i'm sorry it took me a few days to remember that you had updated your blog and i wanted to read it! thanks for the descriptive explanation of your life there... we talk just about every day, but it's nice to read more about the actual space you now call home away from home... i love you and can't wait for us to be together in OUR home. :)
ReplyDeleteMarc! Thank you so much for the blog, very awesome to see wgat's going on with you.
ReplyDeleteRob Slack, Fort Worth